Why a Marketing Strategy and Digital Marketing Strategy are different
Main talking points include:
What is a marketing strategy?
“A marketing strategy refers to a business’ overall game plan for reaching prospective consumers and turning them into customers of the products or services the business provides.” – Investopedia
Typically, a marketing plan consists of these seven broad areas”
- Business Goals and Financial Targets
- Target Audiences (Buyer Personas)
- Competitor Research
- Value Propositions and back story (Your “Why”)
- Marketing Channels
- Tactical Plan – also known as a marketing plan. This is where your DIGITAL MARKETING strategy fits in
- Measurement / Success Metrics – your Key Performance Indicators (or KPIs).
What Is a DIGITAL marketing strategy?
(Aka Data-Driven Marketing)
Really, it would make more sense to call it a Digital Marketing Plan as to not confuse the terminology – it is a tactical and considered process that focuses your digital and online marketing through THREE phases:
- Traffic generation – how are you going to get the right people to look are you stuff?
- Conversion to customers – how do you get those people to buy your stuff?
- Improving customer experience – turning one time customers into multiple purchasers and brand advocates
Mapping these elements out as a funnel map (using something like Funnelytics) can really help your thinking…
Typically, a Digital Marketing Plan / Strategy includes the following themes:
- A strategic plan for your website
- Levels of Conversion
- Customer retention
- Customer service
- Keyword research and mapping
- Competitor research and tracking
- Technical (on-page) SEO
- Content Guidelines
- Inbox (off-page) SEO
- Content Marketing
- Content plan for various phases of the Digital Marketing Plan
- Evergreen content vs seasonal content
- Types of content
- Email Marketing
- Details of platform and opt-in processes
- General news
- Lead generation
- Lead nurturing
- Service communications
- Social Media
- Types of content
- Themes / Purposes per challenge
- Pay Per Click
- Landing pages
According to Smart Insights, 45% of companies DO NOT have a Digital Marketing Strategy / Plan – is that you / your client? Without one, your efforts are haphazard and without direction…
Join our Facebook Group!