071 – Scoping out the Competition
Main talking points include:
The key to scoping the competition – DO NOT get obsessed with what they are doing. You are marketing YOUR BUSINESS or YOUR CLIENTS BUSINESS, not the competitors.
What you want to achieve from scoping:
- Their priorities
- The things they are doing well
- The things they’re not doing well
- The things they haven’t thought of yet
Go into your competitor research with the following method.
- Their structure
- Their Keywords
- Their CTAs / Boosts / Popups
- Their Ads
- Their Social Media
How to do it…
- SEMRush or Ahrefs (or SERanking, but it won’t do the ads!)
- Browse their site – maybe even draw their sitemap
- Note any messages or popups
- Look at the Ads – its where they’re spending money
- Do some secret shopping – make an enquiry, get a quote…
- Do you own independent keyword research (you could do this first or at the end)
- Identify the holes – what’s the new angle?
Join our Facebook Group!